Do a digital detox in Richards Bay
Category General News
You've taken at least ten calls today - mostly telemarketers. Your inbox is full of view-me-now cat memes. Your Instagram keeps you locked in with fashion finds, inspirational quotes and food porn. Your WhatsApp beeps. It's your bestie. "Did you hear the latest news about ...?", she asks. It hardly matters that you already have. A conversation starts and you're lost in emojis and LOLs for an hour.
Admit it, you're more than a little addicted to your devices. With a digital detox, you can ditch your phone, escape hashtags and forget that Netflix password.
What is a digital detox?
It's a state when you give up or pause the use of electronic devices like your smartphone and computer. Instead, you use that time for social interactions and activities.
The benefits are real. A digital detox improves your relationships and makes you more physical, productive and positive thinking. It can also help you sleep better.
Think local for your digital detox
South Africa took the 12th spot in this year's Digital Detox Destinations list compiled by travel agency, Hayes and Jarvis. In their assessment, they highlighted how the majority of our country remains an untouched home for animals and insects alike. Hayes and Jarvis also took note of our many natural parks and safaris.
Richards Bay is a shining example of Hayes and Jarvis' findings. The seaport town is a vibrant and growing area on the KwaZulu-Natal north coast. It offers you gorgeous scenery, unspoilt beaches and stretches of grasslands and forests. While the central area provides modern conveniences, a step into nature is only a stone's throw away.
Where to go in Richards Bay
- Alkantstrand Beach: Living up to its name, this beautiful beach is surrounded by vast expanses of the Indian Ocean. You'll feel refreshed after fishing, surfing, skating, or swimming. Now accessible to the disabled, everyone has the opportunity to get away from their phones.
- Boardwalk Inkwazi Shopping Centre: Sure, your online retail gives you same-day delivery. But, nothing beats people-watching at your local mall. Boardwalk Inkwazi has all your favourite brands from @Home to Zapatos.
- Enseleni Nature Reserve: When you step into this green paradise, Plants vs. Zombies will pale in comparison. Get out your picnic basket and enjoy the sounds of nature. Enseleni is home to giraffes, wildebeests, zebra and a thriving bird population.
- RedBase Paintball: An epic battle of wits, guts, speed and accuracy awaits at RedBase Paintball. It's an adrenaline rush - you'll have so much fun you won't even think about taking a selfie.
- The Retreat Spa: When you want to disengage from all things digital, head to Indaba Lodge. Their team will soothe away all your worries. Try their facial, massage, mani or pedi. You deserve it.
- Tuzi Gazi Waterfront: You'll have your pick of activities here. Charter a yacht for a sunset cruise, go deep-sea game fishing or even take a harbour tour. You'll need to set a new voicemail message: "I'm away having the time of my life. See you soon".
- Zululand Multi Sports Club: Has binge-watching Netflix all day made you a couch potato? No problem. Get a membership for this sports club. It gives you the space to run, swim and cycle to your heart's content.
- Cubaña: A night out at Cubana is the distraction you need. Sip on a cocktail, order from their divine menu and enjoy the port view. Was that Sithelo Shozi you just spotted? Yes, my friend. It was!
Richards Bay is the best of both worlds. You have access to the variety and choice of modern living and the chance to unplug and unwind in nature. It's a quiet town but with enough of a vibe to cater for all types. With Century 21, you can find your dream home to buy or rent. View our listings here and contact us today for a hassle-free move.
Author: Century 21